Sonntag, 24. März 2013

35mm spiral lamp



I just finished a new lamp made out of a single long unbroken 35mm film strip.

After reading about something similar on Hackaday IkeaHackers, I went on eBay to get some old film. This (a trailer of Zathura for 5€) arrived this weekend and I got strait to work.

I used the transportation holes to sew the film strips to each other with fishing line. This was really slow work, took me over 6 hours to get it up to a height of 70 cm with an diameter of 22 cm.  I used an old Ikea Storm lamp that I had in the attic as the frame. The paper shade was torn apart and the first and the bottom two rings were reused as bottom and parts of the top.

The pictures were made with a 60W 'retro-style' lightbulb inside that produces quite dim and yellow light. The bulb has a long glow filament which produces these strange zigzag patterns on the wall. With a smaller, brighter light source or some well placed leds the pictures on the film could appear on the wall I think.

Its not really useable as a light source now. But thats ok, this thing is not meant to produce anything else then mood light after all.


I'm really happy with the result, I think it looks awesome!

I planned to make another, much bigger one but the sewing really takes ages. Maybe if I find a faster way to connect the strips I have a go again...

Oh and: Pictures are jpegs strait from the camera, no tampering with the colors, this is really what it looks. =)

Update: More pics!

2 Kommentare:

  1. Hey Peter! Sieht klasse aus. Ich hab so ne Lampe in Spanien gesehen und muss jetzt auch eine haben! Ich hab allerdings die Streifen nicht aufgespiralt, sondern gerade geklebt. Was hast du mtit der Angelschnur gemacht?
    Liebe Grüße, Maria

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hallo Herr Fröhlich,
    die Zeitschrift FOTO HITS möchte die Bastelidee vorstellen und würde gerne eins der obigen Bilder als Illustration verwenden. Wäre die in Ordnung? Rückmeldung gerne an: redaktion@fotohits.de

    AntwortenLöschen